Google close to purchasing Merck Building in Whitehouse Station

The Merck building in Whitehouse Station, which has been listed for sale since October of 2013, is reportedly close to being purchased by Google.

One BHS parent with knowledge of the situation said that if the purchase is completed, Google will move over four thousand of their employees into the building. “Google moving into the Merck building in Whitehouse Station would be a boom for the [local] economy,” the parent said. “It would help local businesses, increase real estate values and bring excitement to the community.”

The building has been up for sale since October 2013 because the pharmaceutical company relocated their operations to Summit during a year-long transitional phase completed by the company. At the beginning of this phase, Merck anticipated to be completely out of the building and relocated to Summit by 2015. Since the transition went as planned, the building is now ready for a new company to move in, and Google is interested in purchasing it.

Additionally, the building is the main structure on a 500-acre property in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, which is only 15 miles away from Bernards High School. It is five stories tall, and it features many amenities, including a 900-seat cafeteria, 250-seat auditorium, state of the art fitness center, and a data center that is 35000 square feet.

Outside of the building there are many other things for people to do, including basketball and tennis courts, an on-site solar farm that produces energy from the sun, and its own helipad. The total property size that Merck left is one million square feet. One of the main reasons the corporation had to relocate its headquarters was its desire to lower their annual operating expenses.

All information courtesy of NJ.com